Last year, MLS announced the beginning of an affiliation program. This merged the existing MLS Reserve League schedule with the USL Pro League, and allowed for MLS clubs to enter into partnerships with USL Pro clubs, mainly to help with the training and playing time of younger players.
Tuesday morning, Houston Dynamo general manager Chris Canetti was part of a press conference announcing the Dynamo's partnership with the Pittsburgh Riverhounds. Canetti, Riverhounds CEO Jason Kutney, and coach Justin Evans were present, and they all outlined parts of the deal:
- The Houston Dynamo will loan four to six players to the Riverhounds. These players will be able to return to the Dynamo at any time.
- The Riverhounds will travel to Houston to train at the Dynamo's facilities in the Houston Amateur Sports Park sometime this winter - an opportunity that coach Evans called "an incredible opportunity.
- The clubs are currently working out a friendly that would be played during the two week break in the MLS schedule in mid-June.
- Formed: 1999
- Colors: Blue and yellow
- Stadium: Highmark Stadium
- Capacity: 3500
- One of three soccer-specific stadiums in USL Pro.
- Supporters Groups: Steel Army (they even have their own blog, check it out here)
- Former Dynamo players on roster: Anthony Obodai and Joseph Ngwenya