After last weekend's thrilling 4-3 victory over the Chicago Fire that kept the Dynamo's playoff chances alive, the boys are back this weekend, this time on the road...at The Dick (hey, they signed the naming rights deal and they get to deal with the consequences).
This game will be televised nationally on Fox Soccer Channel so Dynamo fans across the country who don't have DirectKick will be able to see the game.
1. Houston will be looking for a second consecutive MLS victory on Saturday, something they haven't accomplished since June 10-13, 2009. It's a streak of 41 consecutive games (including the 2009 MLS Cup Playoffs) without two consecutive victories.
2. The injury bug that had bitten the team recently seems to have finally let go. Brad Davis returned last week against Chicago and will be available to start. As far as the card situation, Bobby Boswell is one yellow card from a suspension while Andrew Hainault and Lovel Palmer are two cards away.
3. Mike Chabala had started every MLS match this season (that he was eligible to play in) before the Chicago game. After Richard Mulrooney's strong performance in general and especially on set pieces, it appears Chabala may once again start this match on the substitutes bench.
4. The game holds major playoff implications for both teams. As it stands, the Rapids are five points ahead of the Dynamo for sixth place in the Western Conference and if my calculations are correct, they hold the final playoff spot as well. If the Dynamo can get three points on Saturday, it would be a huge step towards getting back to the playoffs for the fifth straight season since moving to Houston.
5. Abbey Okulaja will be the match official...it's not if he'll screw something up, it's what will he screw up.