clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

USWNT Takes 5-0 Win Over Guatemala

Klingenberg & Lloyd start in match against Guatemala; Lloyd gets goal and assist.

Caylor Arnold-USA TODAY Sports

After coming off a shaky win over Trinidad & Tobago that was expected to be a blowout, the U.S. headed into Match 2 against Guatemala with the intent to win.  With Abby Wambach and usual-captain Christie Rampone not starting, midfielder and recent Dash acquisition Carli Lloyd wore the Captain's band.

The first chance for the U.S. came in the 3rd minute with a header from Carli Lloyd that would go wide, but Tobin Heath landed the first goal of the game in the 7th minute off a cross by Ali Krieger.

A run by Heath in the 13th sent the ball towards Alex Morgan in the middle of the box but it fell short. In the 14th minute a U.S. throw-in led to Morgan being pushed down in the box which, judging by the replay, was grounds for a penalty kick however it was not called.  Heath continued to try to make chances for the U.S., but could not connect with any U.S. player in the box. Shortly after Guatemala found their first real touch on the ball and sent a kick into box to find no one.

After Meghan Klingenberg went to the ground in an injury scare, a pass from Lloyd found Morgan but the header went directly to the keeper. Shortly after, Leroux would send a kick towards the net but the Guatemalan keeper would have no problem collecting.

With the U.S. playing a player down after Alex Morgan was stretchered off after a hard collision that appeared to roll her ankle, another chance came for the U.S. when Sydney Leroux sent a shot directly to the keeper. Morgan's injury was determined to be a left ankle sprain- the same ankle that forced her out of much of the 2014 NWSL season and is of great concern to the U.S. with the upcoming Women's World Cup.

Christian Press would come on in the 40' for Lloyd, and after being fed the ball by Klingenberg, would put the ball in the back of the net in the 45'. With U.S. players and fans celebrating, the referee ruled Press offside.

Less than a minute in to the second half Lloyd scored the second goal for the U.S. with Leroux providing the service.  Another questionable referee call came shortly after when Leroux was shown a yellow card for a reason not clear.

Heath added another goal to her tally in the 56' when a shot by Lloyd found her in the middle of the box. A minute later, Whitney Engen headed the ball past the keeper again.  Shortly after Lloyd tried for her second goal of the night, but the shot went wide.

A blocked of Lloyd's found Megan Rapinoe in the 65' who scored her first goal of the night. Shortly after she sent a second attempt towards the goal and straight into the arms of the goalkeeper. Lloyd, Leroux and Press would try to make it 6-0 throughout the remaining minutes, but confusion in the box (along with fouls) would prevent anything from coming to fruition.

The women have their next match on October 20 against Haiti.