clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Dash lose in stoppage time to Kansas City 2-1

Another last second heartbreak for the Dash.

Trask Smith

The Houston Dash took on FC Kansas City on Saturday night after many soccer fans spent the day glued to the television watching the World Cup. With many of the Women's National teams playing games both teams were missing key players. Kansas City were without goalkeeper Nicole Barnhart, defender Becky Sauerbrunn, midfielders Lauren Holiday and Kristie Mewis and forwards Sarah Hagen and Amy Rodriguez. While the Dash were without defenders Whitney Engen and Meghan Klingenberg as well as goalkeeper Erin McLeod and midfielder Kaylyn Kyle and forward Nina Burger.

The Dash started out the first minute maintaining possession until Ochs sent the ball forward and to a KC player. After gaining possession Kansas City were able to earn a corner but it was defended well by the Dash. The Dash had their first corner of the game in the 14th minute of the game. Served in by Stephanie Ochs the ball was punched away by Kansas City goalkeeper Sara Keane.

A handball was called on Kansas City and Arianna Romero sent the ball in to have it punched away by Keane. Out for a corner the Dash then had two back to back corners the second ball from Ochs glanced off the top of the crossbar.

Erica Tymrak was almost able to score from distance but the ball hit the woodwork. Mathias tried to sink the ball on the follow up but Bianca Henninger came up big for the Dash. The initial stop bounced away from Henninger who was on the ground but she then fell forward on to the ball to make very sure no one had a chance at it.

As they came back from half time Teresa Noyola came on for Rafa Souza and Ella Masar pushed up to forward. But Noyola would be on the field for only thirteen minutes before Jordan Jackson would come on in her place.

At the 53rd minute Noyola sent a ball into the box and Masar tried for the bicycle kick. Keane came off of her line to stop the ball but neither player reached the ball as it went out.

Jenna Richmond was able to put Kansas City on the score board first. She hit the ball from 30 yards out sending it in perfectly. Henninger stretched out to try and reach the ball but there was no way she could get to the ball.

Second half substitute Tori McCombs sent a ball toward the net just after entering the field but Keane came out to punch it away. Keane would be a tough nut for the Dash to crack on the evening.

Tiffany McCarty had a cross blocked that went out for a corner. Ochs took the corner Becky Edwards was able to get a head on the ball, possibly off a Kansas City player and into the net it went. The Dash drew level in the 79th minute.

Edwards was called for a foul in the 84th minute giving Kansas City great position on a free kick. Tymrak took the kick and sent it straight towards goal. It also went right into the waiting arms of Henninger.

As time would down in stoppage Tymrak sent a beautiful cross into the box and Frances Silva would head it into the net. Kansas City regained the lead 2-1 and would hold it as the game went final.

It was another last second heart breaking loss for the Dash. Throwing salt on the wound was knowing that it snapped their three game win streak. The team doesn’t have another NWSL game for two weeks but they will be playing an exhibition match against FC Dallas U-23’s on June 21.

Dash lineup: Henninger; Romero, Ohale, Diggs, Ochs; McFarlane, Masar (71' McCombs), Edwards; McCarty, Souza (46' Noyola: 59' Jackson), Ohai

FCKC lineup: Keane; Kallman, Phillips, LePeilbet, Robinson; Buczkowski, Richmond, Mathias (70' Silva), Gorry (77' Laddish), Tymrak; Henderson (84' Marlborough)