clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Recap: Dynamo fail to hold lead, draw Toronto at home

Although the Dynamo held a goal advantage twice in this game, they couldn't hold it or muster up enough to get the 3 points with a victory over the team that defeated them 4-2 last week.

Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports

The Dynamo had their chance at redemption against Toronto FC following their last week 4-2 loss to the reds, but this time the Dynamo had the home field advantage. The Dynamo welcomed Corey Ashe back, who regained his starting spot at left back, but the injury bug wasn't done biting. In just the 4th minute, Eric Brunner left the game with an apparent abductor strain, and was replaced by A.J. Cochran.  In the 10th minute, Will Bruin pounced on an error in the back as TFC defender Bradley Orr tried to pass it back to an unaware Joe Bendik. Bruin snatched up the ball and poked it into an empty net putting the home team up 1-0 early into the game.

The score line was all tied up only 8 minutes later as Toronto found space behind the Dynamo defense. Gilberto got the ball and turned very well with it and struck a good shot through traffic to equalize the game.

The Dynamo struggled to possess the ball and build up attack early into the match, but they were eventually able to find some rhythm in their passing. After a failed attempt with extended possession in front of TFC's goal, the Houston was able to convert one of their chances a few minutes later thanks to a Giles Barnes long ranged effort which saw the Dynamo regain the lead.

Nearly immediately following Barnes's goal, Corey Ashe brought down a TFC player in the Dynamo 18 yard box to earn Toronto a penalty. Michael Bradley stepped up and hit the post keeping the Dynamo lead up one. The Dynamo almost got to halftime up a goal, but a goal into stoppage time by former Houston Dynamo player Dominic Oduro let the players go into the half level.

The Dynamo got their offense going early into the 2nd half as Sarkodie sent a great ball in to Ricardo Clark who took a beautiful first touch and quickly found Giles Barnes whose shot hit the side netting. As the match went on, each side had its share of possession and chances on goal, but the Dynamo looked noticeably improved compared to the first half. Brad Davis and Giles Barnes linked incredibly well and had individual efforts that led to dangerous opportunities for the Orange.

Yellow cards began flying out of head referee Juan Guzman's pocket, which is not a departure from the yellow card barrage we saw the last time these two sides met. First Corey Ashe saw yellow for interfering in a TFC free kick - something Oduro was carded for minutes later. Michael Bradley was also shown a yellow card for "trying" to professionally foul a streaking Boniek Garcia, but it took more than a few attempts to bring the Honduran International star down.

The final whistle blew 2-2 as the Dynamo failed to take their revenge against the team that bested them 4-2 last week. The team is looking for its first league win since a 1-0 win over the LA Galaxy back on May 17th. The Dynamo will have a break from league play with their next MLS match coming up on August 3rd against DC United, but they do have a friendly match next Saturday, the 26th versus Aston Villa in the Dynamo's annual Charities Cup.