clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Last minute Revolution goal leads to opening day draw for the Houston Dynamo

Both sides traded goals until the final whistle saw the game end with 3 goals apiece.

Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports

After what felt like a long off season 2016 kicked off for the Houston Dynamo at BBVA Compass Stadium against the New England Revolution. It was a sloppy game for both teams that ended in a heartbreaking tie for the Houston Dynamo.

Things got off to a fast start for the Dynamo as Will Bruin ran down the right side of the field and sent a cross in to Andrew Wenger, but it went just past Wenger and out for a corner. The Dynamo were unable to produce anything on the ensuing corner and the winds immediately shifted as New England took the ball to the other end of the field. The Dynamo failed to clear the ball out of the danger zone and Diego Fagundez got a hold of the ball from 25 yards out and hit the perfect strike into the net to give the Revolution the lead just three minutes into the game.

DaMarcus Beasley crossed the ball to Andrew Wenger in an attempt to get something going in front of the net. Unfortunately, the header from Wenger was just inches wide of goal. It wasn't the only header that the team would miss in the first half. David Horst missed a header off of a freekick from Maidana in the 29th minute.

Thanks to an error from Bobby Shuttleworth the Dynamo were able to score in stoppage time of the first half. Shuttleworth collided with Goncalves and Maidana was able to run in and run off with the ball to tap it into the net.

Both teams started the second half strong. Andrew Wenger scored in the 50th minute after a short pass from Will Bruin. However, the Revs would come back quickly scoring just a few minutes later. The Dynamo defense was completely MIA as Charlie Davies easily got behind the defense on his way towards the net. His first shot was saved by Joe Willis but Davies got past Willis on the rebound to tie the game back up.

After a round of substitutes, Will Bruin played the ball across the top of the box while fresh on the field Boniek Garcia played out a dummy that allowed Giles Barnes to get the ball. With the ball at his feet the 2016 Dynamo captain put it in the back of the net to give the Dynamo back the lead.

With few injures there were just three minutes of stoppage time added on to the end of the game. As time wound down and fans started to think that the Dynamo had gotten away with a win the Revolution snatched the victory away. The Dynamo were unable to get the ball out of their own box as the Revs fought hard to get a third goal in the final minutes of the game. Finally, it was Daigo Kobayashi with a header the went right past Willis to give the Revolution that last goal they were searching for.

Dynamo fans were left with that familiar and heartbreaking feeling of the team falling in the last seconds of the game. It wasn't the start that the Dynamo wanted to their 2016 season, but they will have to shake it off quickly since next Saturday sees F.C. Dallas' arrival at BBVA Compass Stadium.


Dynamo subs: 64' Rocha in, Clark off, 71' Boniek on, Beasley off, 76' Manotas on, Maidana off

Revolution subs: 46' Caldwell in, Rowe off, 69' Agudelo on, Bunbury off