The United Soccer League released the 2017 full schedule yesterday. Of course, that means Rio Grande Valley FC Toros soccer is on the horizon. If you are late to the party, welcome! RGVFC is the USL hybrid affiliate of the Houston Dynamo, who finished their first year as the 2016 #2 seed in the Western Conference. The Bull & Its Horns column is a weekly piece, by yours truly, to keep you up to date on the young, potential future Dynamo stars, with quotes, interviews, and match recaps. The club’s new coach is Junior Gonzalez, who takes over for former Toros manager, and new Dynamo man Wilmer Cabrera. While there are several returning players under contract, we will go over the roster later on, as it takes better shape.
So, back to the news. The full 2017 slate of matches was unveiled and here are some of the key points:
- H-E-B Park should be completed in time for the home opener against rival San Antonio FC on March 26th. It’s a state of the art stadium, and has shown major progress the past few months. It will be without a doubt one of the top few places to watch a match in all of the USL.
- Speaking of their South Texas Derby rivals San Antonio, the club’s will meet three times this season. One on each end of the season, opening at RGVFC, closing in San Antonio. The Toros went undefeated in the derby last season, winning two and drawing the other.
- Their 3rd match of the season, April 8th, is against OKC Energy. OKC eliminated the Toros in shocking fashion in the first round of the playoffs, scoring twice in stoppage time to win 3-2.
- On May 13th, they will host the defending Western Conference champion Swope Park Rangers.
- June 7th will be the first visit RGVFC pays to expansion side Reno.
- July 29th will be the start of the club’s three match road trip to the Northwest. They take on Portland Timbers 2, Vancouver Whitecaps 2, and Seattle Sounders 2, in a nine day span.
Check out the full schedule below!