clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Houston Dynamo vs Columbus Crew Final Score: Dynamo get second win in a row

New, 2 comments

Dynamo win 3-1 over Crew.

MLS: Columbus Crew SC at Houston Dynamo Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports

The Dynamo front three, Quioto-Cubo-Elis, proved once again that they are a force to be reckoned with this season. Each of the forwards scored as Houston won against the Columbus Crew at home on Saturday night.

The Dynamo were able to get on the scoreboard early thanks in part to a bad pass from Zach Steffan. The Columbus keeper attempted to pass the ball out of the back only to have it intercepted by Romell Quioto. The forward was able to catch Steffan slow off his line as he hit the ball between his legs and into the net to give Houston a 1-0 lead just two minutes into the game.

The Columbus Crew proceeded to dominate the first half with 62% of the possession, but Houston extended the scoreline in the 35th minute of the game. Alex sent in a corner kick that found Alberth Elis on the 6-yard line. Elis had no one in front of him as he easily put the ball right past Steffan to make it 2-0.

The second half looked much like the first as the rain started to fall the Crew continued to win the possession battle.

In the 35th minute, Cubo Torres brought down a long ball from Alex on the counter attack. Torres curled the ball into the upper corner and out of reach of a diving Steffan to make it 3-0 Dynamo.

As the game started to wind down Jonathan Mensah was shown a straight red card in the 87th minute after sliding into the legs of Alex with his studs up. Alex was uninjured on the play but the Crew were left with 10 men to finish the game out.

Just as it looked like the Dynamo would get the shut out Ola Kamara found the back of the net right at the end of the game. Kamara easily got behind the Dynamo defense and past a sliding Tyler Deric to end the game 3-1.

The Crew dominated the statistics for the game. They held on to the ball for 60% of the game and got off 14 shots. The Dynamo on the other hand only had the ball 40% of the time and had half as many shots. However, the Dynamo dominated where it really mattered - the scoreboard.

After winning their first two home games of the season the Dynamo now go on the road to face the Portland Timbers next Saturday.

Lineups