Thursday, it was reported by Steven Goff of the Washington Post that the Houston Dynamo had re-signed suspended goalkeeper Tyler Deric. The Dynamo did not pick up Deric’s option in the offseason which allowed him to become a free agent, but they re-signed him to retain his rights.
Deric was initially suspended back in November for an alleged domestic dispute incident. The dispute in question stems from his girlfriend accusing him of head butting her. This is the second time Deric has been investigated in relation to domestic violence allegations.
A source with knowledge of the situation told Corey Roepken of the Houston Chronicle that the club would release Deric if he were found guilty, and that there was no guarantee he would return even if he were cleared of charges. Roepken also stated on Twitter that Deric will not take up a roster spot as long as he is suspended.
I've been told, 'not as long as he is suspended.' https://t.co/uieVfUqA5K— Corey Roepken (@RipSports) February 15, 2018
The club had already signed Chris Seitz earlier in the offseason and recently re-signed Joe Willis. At the MLS SuperDraft back in January they drafted Michael Nelson with the 20th overall pick. Seitz and Willis have been expected to battle for the starting goalkeeper spot in 2018.