clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Houston Dynamo vs San Jose Earthquakes Final Score: Dynamo give up late goal to settle for 2-2 draw

From a first half that looked like they would lose to a second half that looked like they would win. The Dynamo ended up playing like the Dynamo at the end of the game to give up a goal and settle for a draw.

MLS: Houston Dynamo at San Jose Earthquakes John Hefti-USA TODAY Sports

The Houston Dynamo and San Jose Earthquakes faced off on Saturday night each towing with a 1-2-1 record. The late game proved not to be a battle but still a back and forth game that ended in typical Dynamo fashion; allowing a late goal to drop points on the road.

Going into the game the Dynamo found themselves short at options at left back after DaMarcus Beasley was out on a red card suspension. His usual backup, Dylan Remick, was unable to play due to injury and when lineups were announced it was Andrew Wenger who got the start at left back. Also in the starting line up was Romell Quioto who has spent much of the first four games on the season on the bench.

As things got underway Mauro Manotas took a shot just a few minutes into the game hoping to get the Dynamo on the board early. His shot took a deflection and went over the cross bar. The first twenty minutes passed fairly quietly after that as neither team looked like they wanted to take control of the game.

In the 26th minute San Jose found themselves with a free kick. The kick from Danny Hoesen went into the wall of Dynamo players but the ball made its way back to Hoesen who played it forward. Getting around the wall Jackson Yueill found himself well covered by orange jerseys and passed the ball back to Magnus Eriksson. The midfielder took a shot as soon as the ball hit his foot and it went low and past a diving Chris Seitz to put the home team up 1-0.

The Dynamo looked as if they wanted to quickly level the game but had no idea how to go about doing so. They struggled for much of the first half as they attempted to put together passes.

After looking uninspiring for most of the first half the Dynamo came out after half time firing. In the 48th minute Alberth Elis took a shot that was blocked by San Jose. The ball popped up in the air and Tomas Martinez chested it down as he did San Jose goalkeeper Andrew Tarbell ran forward to try and prevent Tomas Martinez from getting the shot off. Before Tarbell got to him Martinez hit the ball which took a bounce just past Tarbell and crossed the goal line to draw the Dynamo level with the Earthquakes, 1-1.

The Dynamo looked more alive after the goal and started to find more success passing.

Crossing midfield Martinez passed the ball forward to Elis who went flying past Lima on the right to get to the ball. Elis crossed the ball to Mantoas who was running on to goal. Barely getting a foot in front of the defender on his right Manotas was able to bury the ball to give the Dynamo their first lead of the game in the 63rd minute of the game.

The Dynamo wouldn’t be able to make it to the final whistle with the lead. Quincy Amarikwa side footed the ball to Jahmir Hyka who took a shot at goal. The midfielder’s shot took a deflection on its way to goal, but an outstretched, diving Seitz was unable to get a glove on it. The goal from Hyka in the 85th minute would level the game, 2-2, a score that would hold until the final whistle.

Once again with the sound of the final whistle Dynamo fans were left shaking their heads frustrated that the team has once against blown a chance for three points. The horrendous first half had given way to better play and goals. Now the team leaves two points behind in San Jose as they return to Houston to host Toronto FC next Saturday.