clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Dynamo, FC Dallas exchange late goals for a 1-1 draw

Dynamo give up late goal but fight back to tie FC Dallas.

MLS: FC Dallas at Houston Dynamo Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports

The Houston Dynamo and FC Dallas faced off on Thursday night in the second of three games this season. The winner of the series walks away with El Capitan, a howitzer cannon, for the following season. The first game between the two teams would end in a 1-1 draw and as it would turn out so did Thursday night’s game.

Up until the 80th minute of the game it was a fairly quiet game between the two. Dynamo had 52% of the possession in the first half of the game with an edge in shots with six shots to Dallas’ three. Several of the shots were close calls from Tomas Martinez including a great chance at the end of the first half after Romell Quioto and Mauro Manotas made the passes to set him up. However, his shot was off the mark as it failed to make its way into the net.

The second half held more excitement and chances. Quioto started off the second half with a great opportunity in front of goal but the ball ended up in the side netting.

Michael Barrios found the back of the net in the 55th minute but the goal was ruled offside. Barrios would eventually score in the 83rd minute of the game. Andrew Wenger allowed Barrios to get around him after a goal kick from Jimmy Maurer was headed towards the Dynamo end of the field. Joe Willis came out to attempt to make a stop on the play but the ball got past him and went into goal. It looked like the Dynamo would once again suffer dropped points after giving up a late goal. But for once the ending to a familiar story was different.

Second half substitute Ronaldo Pena scored five minutes after the goal from Barrios to tie the game 1-1. Martinez made a pass to Pena at the top of the box and the FCD players in the area all allowed him spaced as he turned and sent a low shot into goal. The goal was his first since joining the team and the league in July.

The two teams ended the game tied at 1-1 and each had 13 shots in the game. The two face each other again on September 1 in Frisco.

The tie snaps Houston’s five game losing streak. Next, they play the New York Red Bulls in a mid-week game on Wednesday.