clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

US Open Cup Semifinals, Houston Dynamo vs Los Angeles FC: Dynamo win to advance to finals

Dynamo come out the winners in penalty kicks to make it to their first US Open Cup Final.

MLS: U.S. Open Cup-Houston Dynamo vs Los Angeles FC John Glaser-USA TODAY Sports

It was a wild ride as the Dynamo won their US Open Cup semifinal to advance to the finals for the first time in club history. It looked like the Dynamo would win in regulation before a questionable foul was awarded in stoppage time and resulted in the game tying goal for LAFC. After two scoreless extra periods to eight rounds of penalty kicks the Dynamo finally walked away victorious.

LAFC scored in the sixth minute of the game to give the visiting team an early lead. Diego Rossi took advantage of a defensive lapse that put him 1v1 in front of goal. Five minutes later Andrew Wenger scored to bring the game level. Wenger deflected in an Adam Lunqvuist corner kick.

Thanks to technical difficulties fans not in attendance missed both goals as the stream didn’t fire up until the 17th minute of the game.

In the 24th minute Mauro Manotas, who else, gave the Dynamo their first lead of the game. Manotas held up his run to stay onside while Alberth Elis waited for him to get in position in front of goal. Once Elis passed him the ball Manotas slotted it home to give the Dynamo a 2-1 lead.

Manotas nearly had a second goal early in the second half after Zimmerman failed to shut him down on the run. Instead it was goalkeeper Tyler Miller who came part of the way out to make the stop on Manotas when he took his shot.

It was second half substitute Memo Rodriguez who gave the Dynamo their third goal. After LAFC misplayed a ball the Dynamo were able to make the most of it as they got the ball going back towards goal. The ball eventually made its way to Rodriguez who took a ripping shot that went past Miller to the back of the net.

Minutes later Rossi scored his second goal of the night to bring LAFC within one goal of tying the game. The ball took a deflection but Rossi was able to get on it and chest it down before sending it right over Philippe Senderos’ out stretched leg.

Luis Gil was called for a foul in stoppage time which step up the game tying goal. Gil got all ball on his tackle but was whistled for a foul which set up a LAFC free kick. Kovar took the kick which Willis was able to get a hand on. Unfortunately for the Dynamo Rossi got a head on the ball after Willis’ touch and it went into the net to make it 3-3.

With the two teams tied at the end of regulation they went to extra time. Neither team scored during the first fifteen minute period. The Dynamo had a number of chances in the second fifteen minute period but were unable to put any in the net. With extra time ending with no additional goals the game went to penalty kicks.

And they went like this:

Darwin Ceren took the first kick for the Dynamo and converted his shot. Beitashour then converted for LAFC.

Rodriguez went next making his shot as well, but was matched by the shot from Kovar.

Elis scored but Horta also converted his shot.

Boniek Garcia was the first to have his shot saved while Vela made his shot. Forcing the Dynamo to make their next shot or be out.

But Tomas Martinez converted his shot to keep the Dynamo in it. Joe Willis had to save the next shot to keep things alive and he stopped the shot from Ciman.

Gil converted as did Harvey for LAFC.

Then Andrew Wenger converted his shot but so did his counter part Rossi.

Senderos also converted his shot but then, at last, Willis stopped the shot from Blessing.

And just like that the Dynamo had their win. A win that puts them into their first final in club history and quite possibly the only hardware they have left to play for this season.

The Philadelphia Union defeated the Chicago Fire earlier in the evening to advance to the final. The Dynamo will face them at BBVA Compass Stadium on September 26.