clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Dynamo lose El Capitan as they fall 4-2 in Texas Derby

Dynamo fall 4-2 on the road to FC Dallas.

MLS: Houston Dynamo at FC Dallas Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports

The Houston Dynamo fell flat in their 4-2 loss to FC Dallas on Saturday night. The Dynamo, who haven’t won a game since early July, needed a win to help turn a quickly dying season around. The two prior games this season ended in 1-1 draws and the 4-2 result means that Dallas will take possession of El Capitan next season.

It was FC Dallas that got on the scoreboard in the 10th minute of the game Michael Barrios chipped the ball over Joe Willis to score on the first shot of the game.

In the 34th minute it fell on Willis to come up with back to back saves to prevent Dallas from extending the lead. He got a hand on the initial shot which was then cleared out by Philippe Senderos. On the rebound he got his leg on the ball to prevent it from crossing the goal line before it finally was out of the firing zone.

Dallas was pretty clearly the dominant team in the first half. They lead possession with 64% to Houston’s 36% while getting off seven shots to Houston’s two. The shots from Dallas looked more dangerous than Houston chances. While the Dynamo improved in the second half after Alberth Elis was subbed on they were too far in the hole to complete a come back. The Dynamo ended the game with 11 shots and 45% of possession. Dallas’ dominance continued until the final whistles as they had 14 shots and 55% of possession.

Santiago Mosquera was able to capalitize on a mistake from Willis in the three minutes into the second half to extend the Dallas lead. Willis came out to grab the ball but it went through his hands. Andrew Wenger and Mosquera were right by him and Wenger was unable to clear the ball allowing Mosquera to score. Three minutes later Mosquera scored again to put Dallas up 3-0. The midfielder fired a shot towards goal that went off of the post and into the net.

Alberth Elis would sub into the game in the 52nd minute helping to spark some life back into the Dynamo. Mauro Manotas scored in the 53rd minute to make things 3-1. He took a shot from distance that smashed into the crossbar and came down in the net.

Dallas was able to reextend their lead after Boniek Garcia brought down Maximiliano Urruti in the box and they were awarded a penalty kick. Defender Reto Zeigler buried the kick to put Dallas up 4-1 in the 58th minute.

Houston was awarded a penalty kick when second half substitute Arturo Alvarez was brought down in the box. Alberth Elis took the kick and sent the ball to the right as Dallas goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez chose to dive to the left. The 70th minute PK goal would be the final goal of the game as the Dynamo fell 4-2 to their in-state rival.

The Dynamo’s winless streak continues as they have next week off before returning to action on September 15 against the Portland Timbers.